There’s a big bash coming to Calgary streets in celebration of our province’s arts and culture.
Friday marks the Calgary kickoff to Alberta Culture Days – a three-day province-wide event.
“Calgary has a vibrant arts and culture scene that continues to grow each year. In 2013, our city hosted 278 events for Alberta Culture Days, and, this year, we are proud to again host the Friday night block party to kickoff the weekend’s festivities,” says Mayor Naheed Nenshi.
Main stage Schedule:
- Operatic performance courtesy of Cowtown Opera (7 pm)
- Poetry slam featuring some of the city’s best lyricists
- The Wet Secrets, Edmonton “rock’n’roll dance” band (8 pm)
- Viet Cong, Calgary “post-punk’ band (9 pm – HEADLINER)
Live DJs will also be spinning tracks along Steven Avenue Walk and at Olympic Plaza between 5 and 10 pm.
In addition to music, participants can also check out free interactive art exhibits and workshops along the avenue:
- Make your own noise at the Instrument Petting Zoo or on the Street Piano
- Be dazzled by a state-of-the-art projection light show from Beama Visual Environments
- Get crafty at the Arts Studio Interactive featuring a potter’s wheel, painting easel and life drawing
- Learn about historic photo-making processes, and get a free photo at the Tintype photographic workshop with Rainika Photo Grafik
- Cheer on the Open Streets bike power bar from Pedal Powered Lights
- Let the creative juices flow at the EMMedia VJ Demo Station
- Listen to wild storytelling and poetry courtesy of the Alberta League of Encouraging Storytelling
The city will release more details Wednesday morning.
Alberta Culture Days runs September 26 to 28.
A full list of events is available at www.AlbertaCultureDays.ca or download the Alberta Culture Calendar app.
Source: Sarah Offin – globenews.ca