If you want to find one of Calgary’s original, hotspot neighbourhoods, you needn’t look any further than Mission. Wedged right in between the beltline and the communities of Rideau, Roxboro, and Mount Royal, its only natural that this strip of businesses centred on 4th Street between Elbow Drive and 17th Avenue would be the place to find Calgary’s top restaurants, shops, and fitness studios. If you’re looking to spend a relaxing weekend finding your next favourite community to just let the day unfold, simply walk, ride, drive, or transit down to Mission.
Here’s a little guide to how to get your weekend off right in the Mission district.
- Start your day off with a great sweat at One Cycle Spin Studio, combining sweat, spin, sound, and some deep bass, this spin studio modelled after some of the big names in spin like Soul Cycle in New York City will get your blood pumping and your day going. How do they do it? While your legs will get a workout, their classes are designed to target an even more important muscle – the heart. Spinning is a low-impact aerobic exercise perfect for improving cardiovascular fitness and at One Cycle you’ll work the core and arm muscles by adding in lightly choreographed upper body movements and by using hand weights.
- After a long sweat session over at One Cycle, you’ll probably have worked up an appetite, so make your way over to La Boulangerie just a block away on the corner of 24th Ave and 4th Street for some delicious French baking and cuisine. You’ll find macaron’s, croissants, tarts, and puff pastries to your heart’s delight at this picture perfect bakery.
- As you make your way back up 4th Street, grab a coffee from Phil and Sebastian Coffee Roasters, a Calgary success story bringing great beans and brews to coffee drinkers across North America. At Phil and Seb’s you’ll come to expect the best thanks to their rigorous farm-direct green coffee procurement approach, their advanced, meticulous, quality-tested roasting methods, and their team of über-talented, award-winning baristas.
- Once you’ve had your fill of fine coffee, check out some fine pieces of art at Master’s Gallery Ltd.. Their refreshing take on art welcomes passers by and is an inviting way of discovering something new. When you walk into Masters, they simply want you to just enjoy looking around. Indeed, if you’re on unfamiliar ground, they encourage you to look at art, read about art, and ask lots of questions to develop a feel for the type of work you like. Whether you’re looking to invest in art, or just looking for something to do, give Master’s a whirl.
- For something thats going to provide its return on investment a little bit sooner, make your way over to Bin 905 Wine and Spirits for an amazing selection of wines to discover and enjoy with friends. Bin 905 regularly hosts tastings and events that you won’t want to miss out on and boasts a selection of over 250 amazing wine choices under $30 so you don’t have to break the bank to keep the spirits flowing.
There are dozens of great restaurants on 4th Street including; Anejo, Earls Tin Palace, Rajdoot, Famoso Pizzaria, Mercato, Joyce on 4th, and LeVilla Chophouse. You won’t want to miss any of them and they’re one of the many reasons that residents gravitate towards Mission and its surrounding communities. Just a few blocks away from downtown, and situated close to amenities and a vibrant social scene, this is a community that you may find yourself going on a first date with, and never wanting to leave.
Check out a few of the listings in the area or give us a call at 403.478.3258 to find a home that suits you.